Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I Can Feel Heavenly Father's Love


Tudo Bem,


Dang another week has gone by!! I can´t believe it is almost November and that Halloween is here this week. It feels like June here, ha. They don’t celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving here. It doesn’t feel like fall, just summer haha. 
This week has had a lot of ups and downs!! Today I went to downtown Brasilia with my companion, Elder Redd, and Elder Grisham. We had a blast. We got to see all the government buildings and the different architecture, art, and statues. Had a lot of fun.
This week on Wednesday was one of the hardest days of the week but also very rewarding. We taught Jonas and his family. He is in his 50s and is less active. We have been visiting him about twice a week since I got here. He has helped me out so much with Portuguese and adjusting. He is an awesome guy. I even had my first throwing up experience at his house haha. I was feeling sick and so he gave me this weird drink to drink to help my stomach. Not even 5 minutes later I turn to my companion and I’m like dude I’m gonna barf. haha. I made it to the bathroom and felt way better. It just takes a while for the stomach to adjust to the food. I always tell people that my mouth loves the food here, but my stomach doesn’t. But I am really good now. Feel awesome.  But so Jonas loves us and has offered to drive us places, which is awesome since no one offers to do that. But he is just kind of stuck in his ways. We have had so many great talks with him. He knows the church is true, but he just doesn’t want to live it. We just poured out our heart to the guy, and I felt like I could see him differently than I usually would. His wife has been really sick lately, she is so awesome though. As we walked away from his house I was feeling really down. Because I have such a great love for this guy and his family, and it is so hard knowing that he knows it is true. and that it will bless his life so much. I felt so down and kinda heartbroken. We decided to stop and pray that we would feel better and feel encouraged. Afterwards, I could feel Heavenly Father´s love for me so much. I knew he was proud of me and my companion. That we did all we could do.  
So our next appointment was with Danilo, who is just continuing to grow!! He is so awesome. He is so much more outgoing and smiles like all the time now. He is a totally changed guy. It has been awesome to see the Hand of God in his life and help him change.  After Danilo, we went to see Messias and Marcia but they weren’t home. Marcia is a member and Messias isn’t. They are in their 50s and we have been teaching them for awhile. The only thing holding them back is the law of chastity since they live together but aren’t married. They are waiting for Messias´s divorce to fall through. But anyway they weren't home. Messias is always there waiting for us. He is so awesome. I love that guy haha. We end up calling Marcia and she said she and Messias had decided that it would be best to still be together but live in separate places until they were married. 
We were shocked!!! In an awesome way!!!! (Elder D. Call said in his whole mission he has never had anyone that decided to change and obey it)
Messias moved in with his parents!!! I was running around screaming for joy like a little girl haha. I was so shocked and happy.  We had prayed and fasted with them the previous week that the divorce would fall through and they would have guidance. They prayed and fasted and they felt this was the right decision. It was awesome!!!! So Messias will probably be baptized in 2 weeks!!!!!
That definitely picked my mood up!! It was crazy how at one point I was brought really low, and then through Heavenly Father´s love picked back up!! 
I love teaching the Gospel and just talking to people on the streets!! I don’t hear the words "I don’t understand" a lot now haha. I am starting to really get a hang of the language and understanding more each day. I use to have trouble with daydreaming. ha. It is really hard to focus sometimes when I didn’t understand anything. So my mind would just wander, but I have tried to be more focused and I can understand a lot more. Some times I’m still really lost, but usually I am good!!
I am really starting to love these people. I have gotten use to the lifestyle here. I still miss home like crazy, and still have my moments where I think this is too hard and that it won't ever get easier. But when those times happen, I know I can pray to Heavenly Father and feel completely better. 
The other day I went to the grocery store and saw a swweeeet deal. or I thought so. 2 reais (1 u.s. dollar) for two big cereal boxes AND a free bowl!! Im thinking Jackpot!!! haha good thing I only had 3 reais with me or I would of bought several boxes. haha. I’m thinking to myself this is amazing!! I’m just gonna load up on this stuff when I get more money and live off of this. 
Yeah there was a reason it was so cheap. haha. It was suppose to be like frosted flakes, only it was like beef jerky. hahah. I couldn’t even chew it haha. It seriously was like beef jerky. 
Yeah it was about 9 months over the valid date.   I felt like a genius one second, and the next like an idiot. haha.  
There are stray dogs, horses, and cows here. But sooooo many stray dogs. It’s kind of sad. So lately, every night when we go out I take the cereal box with me and anytime I see a dog I feed them :) haha. I feel like such a nice guy. Olivia would be proud of me. ha. I probably look like a dork walking around with a cereal box, but oh well haha :)
The other day at lunch, the lady feeding us was guessing our names. She guessed my name was Greg!!! I was like wow, no that’s my dads name. It was pretty crazy. I love lunch here. It is the only meal pretty much but soooo much food. haha. Here, everyone eats little to nothing for breakfast and dinner. But load up on Lunch.  We are signed up to eat at a member of the church´s house each day for lunch, but if the person signed up doesn’t have time then they give us money, and when we get money we always go to Gula´s!!!!   Here in Santo Antonio, all the restaurants that serve rice beans, and meat are only open from 11-3. Then they close. The burger and pizza joints open up at about 6. The bakeries are always open.
There was this guy outside of the bakery the other day beggin for money. So I decided to buy the guy two loaves of bread.  Right when I handed them to him, he says "Where’s my juice?"
I was thinking what?? Aren’t you hungry!!  I just said You’re welcome and walked away. The next day the guy followed me in asking me for Juice. I felt bad afterwards but I got kinda heated. I told him you weren’t even hungry and grateful for the bread I gave you. I felt bad afterwards so I decided to buy him a piece of bread.  There are a lot of people here that ask us for money. Everyday. I always tell them do you want food? I’ll buy you something. They just say no I want money. Only one time has someone actually said yes I’m starving. So I bought him something to eat and gave him a little money. He was so grateful.  I saw this 12 year old boy sleeping on cardboard at the bus station. I bought him some pastels, I think I scared him when I woke him up but he went to town on the food. 
It is so sad seeing people that are struggling. I want to help them, but sometimes they just want to buy drugs or stuff. One guy told us he need 5 reais or someone was going to kill him. 
I really am grateful for all I have been blessed with in my life. I love sharing with these people the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That their sufferings is only for a little while. That they are children of God!! And that He loves them soo much!!  The Gospel brings so much hope and happiness to everyone. My eyes have been opened on my mission to how much just knowing the fact that there is a God who loves us and we are His children, brings so much joy to people´s hearts.  They all believe in God, since pretty much everyone is Catholic, but only a few truly know who God is and how much they individually know to him. I love it!!
We started teaching Calistone and his family this week. He is such a stud. He is in his young 30s and has a 10 year old son. I met him in the street we became like best buds. haha. I am looking forward to more lessons with him. 
I taught my first lesson all by myself on the bus last Tuesday. We were on the way home from Taguatinga and we decided to split up and teach lessons. The buses are jam packed, has like 60 seats but about 120 people ride it haha. I started talking to this guy named Peter. I never fully understood how much Portuguese I actually knew until I had to do it all by myself. It went awesome!! I shared with him the whole message of the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. I was able to answer all of his questions. It was awesome!! He was so receptive. We ended up talking about how bad the Lakers are. haha. He loves the NBA and hates the Lakers. haha
Even though it is still hard, and I still have moments where I feel weak and not strong enough to do this. That I miss home soo much and that it is so hard. I know that it gets easier with time. I am grateful for this opportunity I have to represent my Savior Jesus Christ on my nametag and dedicate two years of my life to serving him and others. I try to go out everyday, to make the Bean name proud but more importantly represent Jesus Christ. I am so grateful and blessed to have such a loving family, and friends. I have been blessed so much. This two years, is thanking Heavenly Father for all of my blessings I have had. For I am nothing without him. I cannot teach or touch people´s hearts without him. 
I love this Gospel, it has brought so much love and happiness to my life.
I love you all so much!!! You keep me going everyday!!!  I miss you soo much but I know I am where I am supposed to be. Trying to bless the lives and help others come unto Christ here in Brasil. The Church is True!!

Love,

Elder Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment